Music is the elixir of life. It provokes euphoria, joy, sorrow, wellbeing, it lifts our spirits, it accompanies us, it makes us move, socially interact… but what happens when we want to rest? Is music at odds with rest?
A very cheap therapy
With the speed that our lives have acquired nowadays, stress walks among us with normality, a factor that drives insomnia. A multitude of problems flood our thoughts when it’s time to fall asleep.
Neurologists, scientists and experts have confirmed that music is a very effective tool to combat insomnia and other disorders, promoting the following benefits:
- Allows you to fall asleep faster
- Prevents us from waking up often in the middle of the night
- The next day we feel more rested.
- It doesn’t understand age: it can be music for babies as well as for adults, teenagers or older people.
This is achieved by reducing the activity of the nervous system, blood pressure, heart rate and respiratory rate, causing both muscular and mental relaxation.
Type of music
Not all types of music are suitable for relaxation. We may like a certain type of music, but that doesn’t mean it’s good for us for this purpose. The goal is to rest. For this, the music must meet the following requirements:
- Slow Tempo (60bpm-80bpm)
- Without lyrics (instrumental is always preferable)
- Soft instruments. Piano or classical guitar are the most recommended.
- The most common genres are classical, jazz, folk, nature sounds and zen music.
Come of the “top” dream
According to the study conducted by Mindlab Institution, the most “relaxing” song in the world is called ‘Wieghtless’ and was created for scientific purposes to lower heart rate, blood pressure and reduce cortisol levels. The song was created by Marconi Union in collaboration with the British Academy of Sound Therapy.
We review the best songs according to science to fall asleep better, but remember, don’t play them in the car:
Weightless’ – Marconi Union
Electra’ – Airstream
Mellomaniac’ – Dj Shah
‘Watermark’ – Enya
Strawberry Swing’ – Coldplay
Please Don’t Go’ – Barcelona
Pure Shores’ – All Saints
‘Someone Like You’ – Adele
Canzonetta Sull’Aria’ – Mozart
We Can Fly’ – Café del Mar